Admission process for the Preparatory Certificate Course in Health Care
As part of the research project: 'Ensuring a sustainable pool of nursing professionals' Hochschule Koblenz in cooperation with Mount Kenya University is inviting interested individuals to apply for the Preparatory Certificate Course in Health Care.
The preparatory certificate course will prepare candidates for an apprenticeship at a German hospital or other health care facility as a 'Pflegefachkraft' / nurse. Successful completion of the certificate course will guarantee candidates a contract as an apprentice in a German health care facility.
In general, hospitals will offer permanent contracts upon the completion of the apprenticeship. However, after completion of the training, participants are free to choose an employer other than the health care facility where they did their vocational training.
Course duration and content
The preparatory certificate course will last 14 weeks and includes courses in
- Technical German (focusing on medical terminology and work settings in the health care sector)
- Basic nursing skills
- Intercultural preparation (German culture, history, institutions and coping with every day challenges)
- The course will be done combining lecture at Mount Kenya's Thika campus as well as online classes
We are planning an intake in January/February and September each year.
We are currently inviting applications for the March 2024
- The tuition fees for the course at Mount Kenya University are 70.000 KES.
- All additional expenses (travel expenses, the costs for the visa and other administrative expenses) will be covered by the future employer.
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) with a minimum of C (Plain).
- German language: recent B2 certificate (all four parts)
- Age limit: 29 years
- Successful admission interview (later to be substituted by a two-step online aptitude test)
Apprenticeship in Germany
- The apprenticeship in Germany will last three years combining both theoretical instruction as well as on the job training in different wards of hospitals.
- Apprentices will be employed by the health care facility and receive a salary sufficient for supporting themselves during their training.
- Participants will be placed at partner hospitals and health care facilities of the Hochschule Koblenz.
- During the apprenticeship, members of the Kenyan diaspora will actively support the apprentices to help them integrate in the new environment: Even though you are far away from home, you will never walk alone.
People interested in the program can send their application including the following documents to Prof. Dr. Christian Lebrenz lebrenz(at)hs-koblenz.de:
- current CV
- KCSE record
- Germany B2 language certificate
- copy of the passport